Thursday 16 September 2010

Thursday 16th September 2010


I woke up this morning to the sound of the sea, for once earlier than Raza as I had to get up and use my free block and the hour beforehand for homework. I find it very hard to work when tired in the evenings so getting up early was the solution for me in this case. I may have to start drinking tea and coffee, though, as apparently you will need to work until late at night… Anyway, pleasingly, I actually understood the maths homework, which was indescribably comforting, as every time I know I have maths on the timetable I am dreading it as I know I will spend another lesson not understanding anything (as you will see below). Economics was also to be done; all we had to do was read the first five pages of the textbook, but it made me think how fortunate I am in that if I wasn’t a native speaker it would be a lot harder for me to do that.

In economics we carried on looking at production possibilities curves, which truly are fascinating, but I imagine they will be useful one day. After that I went to maths, where I just found the lesson terrible. Basically we have been going through this background knowledge booklet for the course and I recognise most of it, just need to be reminded of how to do it. However instead of being reminded I am being taught completely different methods using notation I have never seen in my life. It’s really frustrating, as whilst I know I am no ‘whizz-kid’, I know I am capable of doing it. Also, since there are so many people who took standard maths as they couldn’t do higher because of timetable issues, the pace of the class is really fast and I don’t want to ask. I know I’ll have to soon, though. At least today I sat next to Davide who was able to explain stuff to me that the teacher wasn’t.

After a break time spent doing my Italian homework (as I said I find it so difficult to work in the evenings) I went to history, where we carried on looking at the newly created Empire of Germany in 1870 and onwards. We looked at Bismarck’s treaties and for some reason I started pondering a little, as you do. Perhaps it’s because this room is where the amnesty international taster session was held and someone there talked about how some of the students can’t sign certain petitions because of their country (eg Singapore, Hong Kong) and also because talking about Berlusconi so often, as well as all the wheeling and dealing going on in the build up to World War One, it did make me think how lucky I am to come from a country such as Britain. Yes I know the food’s bad, the newspapers are mostly toilet paper and the weather is all we can talk about, due to the fact it’s so miserable. But at least we can think, say and write what we like, do what we like without any fear of anybody coming and stopping us (well unless you’re dealing with the metropolitan police, in which case they like to injure and in some cases kill you. But it’s fine up north). Even in Italy, Berlusconi controls the state-owned TV channels and owns the rest privately so he has completely monopoly, as well as the fact that corruption with government and the mafia and even with the Catholic Church is so prominent, and it almost makes you feel proud. Almost. I have at least thought a lot more about my own heritage, partly being born in Fiji, but also a lot about being from the North East. As in not ‘England’. I’ve learnt more about the history of Newcastle (through the booklet I took with me) and about the local language and talking about the difference between the north east and the rest of England, and the difference between Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England, has made me almost feel more connected. I know certainly that I have a desire to go walking in the hills (anywhere in Northumbria will do, although preferably nearby a river), walk up Northumberland street and visit the quayside, with the bridges, the sage and the Baltic. I also have an urge to go to central station, and of course St James’ Park… (And Joe, if you’re reading this, Blackpool didn’t beat Newcastle, it’s just because Berlusconi’s censorship of the media means that they change everything on the BBC website and because of budget cuts the website you look at in Italy is the same as the one in the UK so it changed it for all UK viewers too– to discredit it of course – so they changed the score line round, as actually it was 2-0 to Newcastle).

Anyway, big thinking moment over, although not for long. Italian was another fun lesson, learning about family, and I have to say I know that you shouldn’t laugh (and I didn’t) but you should hear French people trying to speak Italian. It’s the accent, really. Especially with the ‘r’s and the words that end with an ‘e’, as in French the ‘e’ would normally be silent. Although it does make me think ‘what on earth do I sound like?’

After that lesson, I have now completed my first 8-day cycle at the college (the timetable is an 8-day one, to avoid events that are frequently on the same day disrupting the same lessons). So I thought I’d do a little round-up (if you want you can just skip this if you’re short on time. I hope it is useful though for those who are interested):


Biology (Standard Level): taught by Mike, from the UK. I’m trying to work out whether I really will enjoy biology. So far it has been pretty good, although Mike’s teaching style is a little different. He tends to talk a lot and then we fill in the sheet and ask him if we don’t know the answer. I think I will like it, as he’s clearly passionate about the subject and the course looks quite interesting.

Maths (Standard Level): Taught by Tim, from Germany. Well. What can I say? I think you know my current feeling about maths. The thing is I can really enjoy maths. But here, with the class at such a high level, and using different notation in the maths, like really different, (rather ironically, it’s almost like I’m in a position where it’s not my mother tongue) and with Tim the teacher being, well clearly very well meaning, but sometimes hard to follow (although in fairness I should definitely ask more questions). I just hope it gets better, as I don’t want to drop down into studies level, as I know I can do it, it’s just about reaching the position where I am able to do it.

English A1 (Standard Level technically, but still in the same class as higher due to timetabling issues meaning I can’t join the newly formed standard level class): Taught by Lydia, from Wales (and an alumnus of Atlantic College): Surprisingly enjoyable lessons so far. Lydia has managed to make the lessons interesting and fun and I do feel like I am looking into these poems with a different view than before. Although I maintain that I much prefer simply reading books, poems or whatever, rather than writing about things like chapter openings and the style of writing, I think maybe if it carries on like this it won’t be so bad. I might even be able to take English at higher…

Economics (Higher Level): Taught by Annemarie, from the Netherlands (not Holland). Economics I think should start getting more interesting. It is already a completely new of thinking for me, the idea that everything pretty much has a ‘utility’ – satisfaction that can be gained from it – but I want to be able to help change things, and I think that maybe economics is a useful way to do it. As Annemarie pointed out, we, as economists are the ones to persuade the government not to destroy rainforests or other natural havens as the benefits from keeping them are so much better (financially as well as just, not destroying the environment for greed, but I don’t think Shell or BP get that concept) as we provide the financial data to prove it. Also, with the IB course being international, we look a lot at international trade and development, two aspects, especially the latter, which interest me.

History (Higher Level): Taught by Eunice, from Wales. History should be a really interesting course, and Eunice knows the course like the back of her hand, so to speak. We have been having some quite interesting discussions so far in history and hopefully this will carry on. The only bad thing, for me, I would say, is that it is all modern history (as in from 1870-1999), and I haven’t actually studied anything older than that since year 8 (when I was thirteen). And especially in first school, history is, for obvious reasons, a lot more simplified, and a lot less about understanding. I’d really like to (and even though some people say it’s not interesting) learn a bit more about some of the Tudors or other monarchies/kingdoms/empires from around that period, or even before that. I suppose that’s what reading’s for.

Italian B (Higher Level): Taught by Viviana, from Italy. Italian is probably my favourite subject, at the moment. We are mostly going through what I have learnt already, but it is actually really useful as it’s also about cementing key ideas in my head, such as verb endings and basic vocabulary. The pace is also fast enough that it isn’t at all boring, and I really enjoy how the school’s policy is that teachers don’t speak English in the lessons at all, as it really helps you think in Italian. And since we are doing Italian B (A2 wasn’t even on offer), it means that I can learn without feeling any pressure to write any essays or analysis of literature in a different language! (whilst I’m sure when I improve my Italian to such a level that I can read good books in Italian I will enjoy reading them, I don’t think that’s going to happen in the next two years. At the moment I just want to focus on communication).


Back to the day’s events:

After lunch at mensa I went to post my blog and then realised that since my phone charger had arrived, even though I have an Italian one, the UK one has a USB cable so I can upload photos to the laptop. So I added them, hope they are useful and I will think of more of the area in which I am living in soon. Any requests?

This was done in a rush as at 14.30 I had my first climbing session as part of my official physical activities programme for the IB. On the way I posted my creative activity choices form in the box by reception. My choices were: Number one – Sustainability group, Number two – Ways of seeing and Number three – Amnesty International. I will almost certainly get sustainability group, but I would really like to do as additional activities any one or even three if I am not too busy of Ways of Seeing, Amnesty International and Photography. There are loads of others too, but unfortunately a lot of them class with either my physical activity or my social service.

We met for climbing at the climbing store outside Pala residence where we got all the kit that we prepared on Tuesday (and for some people Wednesday). We got in the minibuses and drove for about half an hour or so to Val Rosandra, a mountainous area on the other side of Trieste to the sea, which gave a completely different view. This time, instead of doing normal climbing (as in vertical up and down sections along a rock face, with instructors at each one and you can try and do as many as you can), we did a mini via Ferata, in anticipation of next weekend’s trip to the famous course in the Dolomites. It was a completely different way of climbing, following a steel rope (which was brand new, as it happens, as Carlo, our Italian climbing instructor, had recently completed the refurbishment of the course with a local climbing group) and generally travelling horizontally, for about two hours. The way you do it is you have two ropes with clips (carabiners) which you clip onto the steel rope which is anchored into the wall every meter or so. And when you move one carabiner into the next section, it means you have one holding you in case you fall. You’re also allowed to use the rope in tricky spots, which proved to be quite useful. I happened to be a the front, which although you might think bad as people are behind you, turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as you never had to wait for people, and since I didn’t find it too hard, I had time to stop and look at the amazing view, the view of Slovenia and all the interesting flora and fauna around me. I have to say I really am looking forward to going to the proper via Ferata in the Dolomites now.

We all went straight to mensa after we got back, as climbing is an energy sapping activity! After a much needed shower I went to the library to attempt to do my homework, write this blog and then hopefully get an early night.

Actually as it turns out I have to finish (I’m now writing this in the day room at 22.40) my biology drawings of plant and animal cells (I didn’t bring my pencil to the library, stupidly enough) and I also have just had a really nice chat with Rimma, the residence tutor, about general life. Also she asked me if I was ever homesick and said that if you weren’t homesick sometimes it wouldn’t be normal, which was comforting to know. It was also just nice to talk to her, as she is clearly someone who really cares.


The view of Trieste from the viewing station right before the climb (it's the same view, this was just a better photo)



A praying mantis (my third one in Italy) I found on the climb



Six out of the seventeen of us



Another view



A strange almost cactus-like plant

No comments:

Post a Comment