Monday 6 September 2010

Monday 6th September 22.17


This morning my form class was at the earliest appointment time for choosing options. So this meant we had to be in the main admin building for 8 o clock, however Lydia said we (as in my form class: Maryia, Belarus; Hannah, USA; Davide, Italy; Sana, India (hi!); and Christian, Indonesia) could meet up fifteen minutes before to discuss options. Eventually, after speaking with Lydia, I chose at higher level: Italian, History and Economics, and at standard: English, Biology, Maths. I chose economics over world arts and cultures as I figured Economics might be more useful for university, but also because Lydia said that I might be able to speak to Henry, the teacher of WAaC to ask if I could sit in when I have free periods. As luck would have it, since standard English for native speakers is taught in the same class as English higher for native speakers it freed up a standard level ‘block’ meaning that WAaC is taught in my frees. So that means that hopefully after a discussion with Henry I will be able to sit in with at least some of the WAaC lessons. The fact that standard and higher English for mother tongue are also taught together also means that there is a greater possibility of moving up to higher English, if I really want to.

After the meeting, since I was the first one to see Mike, director of studies, that left me with about two hours before our form class had to be at the library for the introduction session at 10.30. Not really knowing what I was doing, I simply went back to the bedroom, set the alarm for ten, and went to sleep. And thank god I did. Although I felt so sleepy immediately after, I’m sure it helped me during the day and those who didn’t have any daytime ‘naps’ really just looked exhausted.

After the sleep I managed to stumble to the library where the librarian gave us all our electronic library cards and showed us how to use the system: both checking out books and locating them. I then spent the next hour reading through the latest edition of the Guardian Weekly, which was unfortunately from about 6 days ago, meaning the news was news I already knew. I know it’s less environmentally friendly than the internet, but I still much prefer paper news.

I decided to catch up on what I have dubbed ‘blog debt’ – where I need to write the blog from at least two days ago – with some of the free time before lunch. After lunch I checked email to find out what social service I had been allocated. I got my first preference: working with the ‘diversely able’. Specifically this is in a centre for disabled young people and children, helping with activities and games, as well as being a friend.

At half two we had our first proper assembly. Basically the head teacher (rettore), Peter, gives a talk and then this is followed by teachers giving notices. Then any students who want to say anything regarding pretty much anything college-related can then stand up at the front and give their announcements. Assembly was followed by Christina, the physical activities coordinator, giving a talk about physical activities, and then about sign up. Basically tomorrow (Tuesday, so today probably if you’re reading this), Wednesday and Thursday, after lessons you can try out up to six of the physical activities that you want to do for your IB. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I am climbing, Wednesday, football and orienteering and Thursday hiking and then sailing. Cross-country and downhill skiing, both of which I’d like to do if possible, although downhill is more of a preference, are available in the winter (after Christmas) as an extra physical activity. As well as your ‘core’ physical activity, the one that really counts for the IB, if there is space on other activities you can often do one or more extra (it’s the same with creative activities and social service) providing the teacher is OK with it. After trying out the activities over the next few days we then choose our preferences of what we would like to do, as unfortunately sometimes activities are full due to budgets, staff, or health and safety. At the moment I have my eye on climbing, partly because it makes use of the excellent local climbing areas, such as the sea cliffs and the mountains in Slovenia, but also because in late September they are offering a trip to the famous Via Ferrata in the dolomites, which looks like it would be amazing. Immediately after mensa, we went to our pigeon holes in the administration building to see if our timetables had finally been put there and lo and behold, they had! At the end of this post I’ll write the timetable. Interestingly enough, it works on an eight-day timetable, this is to minimise the effect of repeat events such as talks, which are often held on the same day each week. Apparently you get used to it pretty quickly.

We then had a presentation from Simone, director of Social services, about International Affairs, which is basically where the college gets people from all sorts of backgrounds: authors, poets, aid workers, corporate spokespeople, diplomats, all sorts, to come and give a talk at the college. They also ask for recommendations from us, so if you can think of anyone good who might be able to come and speak (no fees, however travel, accommodation and food covered) who either lives nearby (e.g. in Europe) or you know might be visiting Europe, then email me. In the past they’ve also had talks from the U.N. and also U.N.E.S.C.O. although apparently sometimes speakers don’t quite get what UWC is about… I suppose when I find out what people mean I will tell you.

Simone’s talk was followed by Henry, the director of the college’s cultural programme, who I later found out is going to retire after this academic year, (Henry’s also the teacher of WAaC) who is incredibly passionate about his subject. The college goes on trips to Venice (I’m going next Saturday), Padova, Ravenna, Verona and one or two more that I’ve forgotten the name of. He also went through some of the other incredible places in Italy that we can visit, and encouraged us to use our long weekends (instead of half term you get two three day weekends in this term) to visit these places (such as Roma, Napoli (Naples), Siena, Piza, Firenze (Florence), Pompeii) and use the help of our Italian students to do so, for example with booking the train. He gave a really interesting talk on buildings and architecture and paintings in many of the cities I’ve listed and really had such an incredible amount of knowledge.

And now I’m going for an early night.

Timetable:

Day 1: 8-8.55 Biology; 9-9.55 History; 10-10.55 English; 11.20-12.15 Italian; 12.20-13.15 Free; 13.15-13.45 Free.
Day 2: 8-8.55 Maths; 9-9.55 Italian; 10-10.55 Economics; 11.20-12.15 English; 12.20-13.15 Free; 13.15-13.45 Free.
Day 3: In fact now you know the times I’ll just list the ‘blocks’ as they’re known. English; Free; History; Economics; Biology; Biology.
Day 4: Economics; Free; Italian; History; Maths; Maths.
Day 5: History; Biology; Free; Italian; English; English.
Day 6: Italian; Maths; Free; English; Economics; Economics.
Day 7: Free; English; Biology; Economics; History; History.
Day 8: Free; Economics; Maths; History; Italian; Italian.

You’ll probably be reading this today (Tuesday 7th September), so lessons start today, on day 1 of the timetable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment