Tuesday 14 September 2010

The last few days (I have tried to make it short but sweet)

Sunday 12th

Sunday morning I managed to have my first lie-in, til 10, and at 11 I went down to the day room as I had thought that our English group was to prepare a presentation of The Dream of the Rood, but since the group was split nothing happened.
After lunch at 1, I spent the afternoon talking with my roomi and whoever happened to be passing. I also managed to speak to Gabriel (my secondo from the UK) which was really nice as you can talk about British things and you understand! (e.g. about our self depreciatory humour, differences between the regions, etc) This was nice as the last time I had talked properly with Gabriel was about a week ago at 2 in the morning, so now we had plenty of time.

I then went to the school building later on in the afternoon, with the prime purpose of having a private skype conversation, however I arrived to find the internet not working. So I decided to just write my blog and answer as many unanswered emails I could find. It was nice having a few hours by myself as sometimes being with people all the time gets a bit much.

At mensa in the evening I got talking to Redatha, my secondo from Africa (yes I realise Africa is not a country but I’ve forgotten precisely which one…). We got talking about his EE (extended essay, the 5000 word mini thesis you do for the IB) and then I realised how fortunate I am and on the other hadn’t how hard it is for other people (e.g. Redatha) to write 5000 words, and not just simple ones, in English, one of the most ridiculously irregular languages. Redatha is doing his EE on biology, so he also has to include the scientific terms, and in some ways I even feel guilty, but on the other hand I cant help where I was born and also he will always have one language more than I do.

After mensa I posted my blog and at the same time the Asians (literally, all the students from anywhere in Asia) were having their meeting for Asian week, which is coming up. I am excited. You will find out more…

I also helped with the some of the people who cook every night instead of going to mensa, and it’s a shame as sometimes I’d like to join them, but don’t really feel like asking in case we are butting in. I know a few other people who are the same, so I suppose the obvious thing to do is start another cooking group…

I felt quite disappointed with the day but as well I suppose it is good I got some time to myself and time without anything to do, simply to relax!

Before bed I spoke to Zaid and I’ve got to say it sometimes get really trying having to teach him new words all the time, and when he continuously gets the pronunciation wrong. However when I think about it, am I making any effort to learn Arabic or Kurdish? (Actually I do want to learn Arabic, and Zaid has said he’ll try to give me a few lessons). But really I know not to be so horribly selfish, and he really is learning so fast. I suppose the most annoying thing is when our cultural differences come into play (you know how you’re righting a blog, in America everyone would laugh at you, it’s true, I know what America’s like, I see it on all the films.’ ‘Zaid, the films aren’t true’ ‘But they are all the same!’ ‘Yes but they’re films based on story, not reality’. It’s interesting really, how much he has learnt from these films, and so have his peers, and what their view of the USA is. Also how he says getting homesick is silly and also he finds it hard to ask for help from people, as it is seen as shameful in his culture, so I’ve tried to help him to ask his teachers when he is stuck or at least try my best to help with his homework). Raza by now had really caught the virus (it’s officially a virus now) that I had been suffering from, so we put him to bed and then ourselves.




Monday 13th

Even though he was ill, Raza still woke at the same early hour. He then collapsed onto the bed after his shower and we demanded that he stay there. As I went to the nurses shortly before lessons, and then went back to get him so that he could be checked by the nurse, he went off to history (doing exactly the same as I did, not wanting to miss any lessons). The advantage of my being late was that I saw a gleaming white Lamborghini parked in piazza at ten past eight, something which virtually no-one else saw (clearly must have got there after lessons began). A gift.

In history we talked about the causes of WW1, which is something we covered in GCSE, so it was more revision, but it’s always interesting getting the viewpoints of Marton (Hungary) and Onur (from Turkey), especially when we were looking at the demise of the Ottoman Empire and the state of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1870. Biology was again interesting as while we do the actual biology stuff, there is a clear emphasis on including critical theory into it. For example, we are looking at cell theory, and Mike was asking us to look at where certain aspects of cell theory have been proved incorrect (eg in that all cells don’t have a nucleus) and why some things might be thought to be correct as we don’t know any further. In our biology class we have Jonas from Colombia and I can’t begin to imagine how hard it is for him, as he speaks all but no English. However we have learnt that he has a passion for mushrooms and so Mike has (rightly so) taken a shine to him for this. It’s sad that there’s this language barrier separating him from us (as that’s how it seems) and even though we all know he is not stupid at all that’s just the way it can come across, and also we can’t find out about the mushrooms! He has a farm in Colombia, so it would be fascinating to find out more.

I then decided to write up my blog about Venice in the library (not before getting some water, to soothe my burning throat), where it’s always blissfully quiet. There, for the benefit of mum and dad, I met that cleaner who we met at Sistiana beach and reintroduced myself and she seemed pleased to see me again, which was lovely. It’s also nice to engage in conversation with people like the cleaners as really they are just as important as the academics and teachers and businesspeople in the world, as without clean classrooms, offices and meeting rooms, nobody would be happy would they?

On the way to Italian I realised I have that particular type of ill where I can taste it in my mouth permanently, which isn’t the nicest of feelings by a long shot. Italian was enjoyable as always and then English was actually a really nice lesson. We were performing our pieces from Dream of the Rood and actually through the performances the poem had a really powerful effect on me. It was almost spiritual through its religious language, and there parts of it in the middle group’s section, which really reminded me of Grampa, as we always used to go to church with him, so in that way it was really emotional. It was just a shame that one person in the third group decided to, and I hope you’ll forgive my expression here, bullshit (for there is no other way of describing it) their way through their performance, standing on a table dancing (they freely admitted after the lesson that they made it up on the spot). As me and Josh were talking abut, we’re not religious, but when an art has been produced for a religious purpose, it almost feels insulting when you devalue it.

After lunch and checked emails, I experienced ‘College Life’ classes for the first time. Basically college life is intended to be a bit like PSHE classes in the UK, with added stuff about living away from home. We basically just split into groups and talked about what had surprised us, been challenging, been a disappointment and what had been exciting in these first two weeks. We then had tutor at Lydia’s house, which was nice as we could just sit and chat as a group for half an hour about any stuff that was bothering us. Although again we were late for the assembly! Hopefully we won’t build up a reputation… After assembly Pete, the Yorkshirean English and drama teacher who is with us for a year from Red Cross Nordic UWC in Norway, gave a fascinating talk about volunteering. Obviously I am interested in volunteering but I wasn’t sure whether the talk would be relevant for me anyway as I’m a first year, but I decided to stay and listen anyway. Pete described how after graduating in English lit he couldn’t find a job relevant to his degree, so started working part time at an old people’s home. He described how here he began to realise that he could give his time to help other people, regardless of whether he got paid or not. He then spent two years teaching English in Sudan, with VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas), teaching English to children and also training two teachers. From then on he has spent his life working with voluntary organisations, and has more recently joined UWC (six or so years ago) and he coordinates the massive UWC volunteering programme http://volunteers.rcnuwc.no/ , which is quite impressive.

After the talk Davide and I went for a little walk to the school building to find out our Physical Activities. Rather amazingly (as I did not think I was going to get it) I have got climbing. We go every Thursday afternoon and in a few weekends we are going to the famous via Ferata in the dolomites, which should be amazing. As we neared the residence we stood outside for a bit looking over the bay of Trieste, with the lights on the boats sparkling on the sea, and Davide started talking about how he studied Sanskrit on the internet and in books for a while, and he also has knowledge (as Italian schools still dot them) of Ancient Greek and Latin. It’s admirable how he makes me think of my own language, for example asking me connections between words that I had never considered, like bullet and bulletin.

We then helped Mark, the physics teacher to set up his astronomy stuff and then went to the library where we joined a surprising number of people still working. Even after mensa they were still there, although I didn’t stay for too long. When I got back to the residence Gabriele asked if I wanted to go for a short half an hour walk before curfew, so we joined Moritz and Lorenzo and went for a stroll around the village. I did feel guilty that even though they are all Italian they were all speaking English for my benefit, although at least Italian is something I can make an effort in.

We had to ‘de-sick’ the bedroom afterwards (a result of me then Raza being ill, methinks) so opened all windows and doors. This actually led to it being pleasantly cool for going to sleep.





Tuesday 14th

The air was gloriously cool and fresh in morning and Raza had a free first period, so we all somehow slept in until about 7.40. After a rushed shower I collected my parcel with the washing things in (I can get them here, they’re those small paper sheets that you put in with the washing to soak in any running dies when you wash different colours together, but I bought them specifically in the UK to take here, and it’s a good way to test the post) I also got a lovely letter from my step-gran, Jeanne, and it was so nice to hear from her. Italian was followed by a difficult maths lesson, although I sort of get some of the concepts, it’s just that I am being taught completely new methods (and they’re often only new to me – Tim said to the class ‘who has used this method before?’ Everyone else put their hand up) I think I’ll manage, and Davide offered me extra help any time I want it as well, which was really kind.

Seeing as I had no breakfast I went to Tuttidi (the small supermarket) and got a cheese sandwich (fresh bread and cheese, of course). Pierre, one of the French second years, was also getting a sandwich, so we sat outside in the sun, as we both had a free period. We ended up spending more than an hour talking about French, British and Italian politics, and the complications with the EU, and how France and Britain think about each other regarding the EU. It turns out that the current scandal Sarkozy is now facing is basically just a distraction by him as continual revelations were being made about Sarkozy’s party effectively stealing millions from the billionaire who owns l’Oreale cosmetics, as she is not mentally sane. France also would either prefer that Britain either gets its backside into motion and properly becomes part of Europe, or get out. I found it very hard to think of why we are, as a nation, so Eurosceptic. We also talked about how Berlusconi’s domination of the media (basically in Italy people don’t read newspapers nearly as much as in the UK or France, everyone watches TV. Berlusconi controls the state-owned TV and owns the majority of the pay TV channels. So he’s had thirty years to build up his dominance, nothing else would really point to how he could win an election with a majority after founding a new party three months before the election.

I then bumped into Gabriel where I learnt that as a Welshman, he doesn’t know the British national anthem. Oh how I long to be Scottish. Being English is so terribly boring. I told my roomi that as I am from Northumberland we have our own tartan, so they are now desperate for me to bring in a kilt. Maybe I will get one at the Christmas break…

I read Jeanne’s letter properly when going back to my room to get my books and it was really moving and so heart-warming to hear from her, also as this is exactly what I imagine Grampa would’ve done had he still been alive. English again was a really interesting lesson. We looked at a song called ‘Angelene’ by someone called PJ Harvey, but to all intents and purposes treated it as a poem. For some reason I found myself really enjoying thinking about it and then we had to speak with the person next to us and imagine how we think the song goes. Listening to it, I also really enjoyed it as a song. We then got out our song lyrics that we prepared a few days ago, the lyrics that some up your culture. I explained to Jonathon (Hong Kong) about how the North East has a very strong cultural tradition, one that is hand in hand with its working class heritage. I talked about how ‘The Blaydon Races’ is a happy song sung at the football, but also talks about a time when the people of Newcastle and the surrounding area really were ‘together’ a lot more than they maybe are now in the aftermath of Thatcher’s cultural destruction. Jonathon also showed a song, translated form Cantonese, which talks about Hong Kong and its people and its places. Seeing as Hong Kong is a very new place in its present form, there is little ‘culture’ in the recognisable form we have today. It also includes about how people in Hong Kong never sit still, and the continual destruction of buildings to make ay for new ones.

In economics we had a really interesting discussion about how pandas give us satisfaction for just being, so economically it makes sense to keep them alive. Well that’s simplified, but you get my gist, hopefully.

After mensa I helped Gabriele with English homework (finally something I can do in return!) and then relaxed for a bit. I’ve been trying to do less stuff, or at least not thinking that I should be doing stuff all the time or speaking to people, so it’s quite nice to just lounge around or do homework at a gentle pace.

The first of the creative activity taster sessions was MUN, or Model United Nations. Apparently this is quite a formal thing, and there are proper international versions of these for young people. Basically you look at the UN and its structure and activities, but also build up to host a model UN summit with local schools, colleges and people from further afield, cost limiting. Unfortunately it takes place on the same day as my service, but I can still help with eh organising if I want. After this was the taster session for current affairs. This was hosted by Eunice, the history teacher, and what you do is you sit in a circle and discuss current affairs, as well as producing a news sheet to go in mensa weekly. It was really interesting seeing different peoples’ viewpoints, especially on the Turkish referendum. Unfortunately current affairs is also on a Tuesday! Immediately after I went to the climbing store (as in store room) to get my kit sorted out for Thursday and also to check out my walking boots for the via Ferata. It turns out we have to bring as much of our own kit as possible, so we will have to try and find a way of sending my sleeping bag either in the post or by courier.

After buying another panino (sandwich), I went to the taster session for ‘Ways of Seeing’. This was a really interesting session led by Henry (the world arts and cultures teacher) and we looked at loads of different pieces of art, ranging from Damien Hirst’s diamond skull (and linked to ancient Aztec skills) and also a painting by Henry VIII’s official painter of two French diplomats, which has a skull painted on but it’s only visible at a certain language. At least Ways of Seeing is available to me, as it’s on Wednesdays.

When I got back to Fore, Gabriele asked if I want to go to an anti-Berlusconi demonstration in Rome on our first long weekend, which should be interesting if I go. Sitting in the day room on my laptop it was lovely to see Julia from the Netherlands get her box of birthday goodies (even if it was a day late) as she was so happy.

Later on in the room, Zaid was saying how he got upset as before he came to the college he thought he was good at English but now he thinks he is bad. I tried to comfort him by telling him (honestly) that really it is pretty damned good. I resolve to help him.

Buona Notte,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment